[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: Lighting

I see this reference to a minimum of 3-4 watts per gallon all of the time
on all of the lists (Discus-l, Aquarium, and Stripes) and I think it is a
crock.  Lumens are much more important than wattage, not to mention type of
plants, and depth of tank.  I prefer Ultra Tri Lux because they are
extremely bright and my plants grow very well with them at 1.5 watts per
gallon in a 20L aquarium.  It is 2 15w 18" bulbs with the bulbs overlapping
in the middle of the tank.  Quality of light and lumen output of bulbs
should be a much higher concern than wattage.  The bulbs that came with the
strip lights were only about half as bright as the Ultra Tri Lux bulbs,
thus I would have to of had 3 watts per gallon if I were going to use
crappy bulbs.  The other things I credit my plant growth to is the use of
Kent's Micro Nutrient Supplement and use of a DIY CO2 source if the plant
growth stalls.

Drew
Warwick_d at bls_gov
O-