Obviously doing something wrong

Prior to adding PMDD to the tank and converting from DIY CO2 to a CO2 cylinder, I decided to tear down my tank and remove all the algae I could both from the plants and the tank itself.  After seeing the recipe for a bleach solution to kill algae off plants both here and in FAMA I decided to give it a try.  I used 1 cup bleach (non-scented) in 19 cups of water and threw in 100 corkscrew val plants which have been propigating over the last 8 months.  After three minutes the plants appeared devoid of chlorophyll,  virtually a mass of residual plant goo.  What did I do wrong here.

Scott Corbeil