[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #269

>From: plight at sprynet_com
>Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:20:59 -0400
>Subject: Building a light
>
>I am in need of any suggestions for building a light that would work
>with 48" standard flourescent tubes and fit on a 55 gallon tank.  I do
>not know much about electrical aspects nor do I know where to get
>supplies.  I don't want to spend a fortune, but I feel that I need more
>than one tube over my tank.  By the way, I will be using CO2.
>
>Thank you,
>Jason Light
>Connecticut, USA

Jason,

Here is what I did: I went to a local hardware store and bought two shop
light fixtures without bulbs for less than $10 each. I suspended mine about
9" above the water surface by using two shelf brackets. ($1 each). (you can
use chains, a pair of short chains are supplied with the shop lights,
longer pieces can be bought cheaply... chains offer the advantage that you
can rig the chains in such a way as to allow temporary raising of the
lights while cleaning)

I therefor have 4 tubes, I use 2 daylight tubes and 2 vitalites.

Good luck!

- Bill Brady ...
On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay,
the land of pleasant living - Harwood Maryland USA