[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: Water Temps

Steve Amor asked about tank temperatures in summer.  I got the feeling he
wasn't so much interested in people's tank temperatures but rather how they
keep them cool without using chillers.  Living in the SouthEast US, we have
high temps, 90-100F (sorry, I forget C conversion factors) with 85-100%
humidity.  With this high a level of humidity, sweat does not evaporate
easily to cool the body and heat stroke is possible.  A majority of homes,
offices and automobiles have air conditioners.  <Get back to the subject!
 OK, I got sidetracked>

I read an interesting article for a DIY chiller and considered using it at
one time (then I got discus which need the higher temps).  The person used a
canister filter system and placed a 2 liter bottle of frozen water in the
canister.  This cooled the water to a relatively constant temp while the ice
lasted.   I don't remember what the person reported ending up with as a
constant tank temperature, but they were very satisfied.  A Coca-Cola 2
liter bottle was filled with water, frozen solid, then placed in the
canister.  It supposedly lasted 2-3 days.  This may be an inexpensive way to
relieve temporary high tank temps.   I found the info in the technical hints
section of the Freshwater and Marine Aquarium (FAMA) magazine web page.
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil