[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #245

>From: "Jack O'Leary" <jdo at world_std.com>
>Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 21:02:25 -0400
>Subject: Java Fern turning black
>
>Marty:
>
>I have had the same problem with Java Fern dying off in several, but not
>all of my tanks.  I notice a seasonal cycle:  it happens in late
>spring/early summer.  There are no other correlations that I can
>discern.  It never happens to the "Tropica" variety, even if it is in
>the same tank as the other species that are dying off.  Very puzzling.

Hi Jack,

Same here for my Java Fern, although I could attribute it to my exposing the
plants to air under the heat of a metal halide for an hour while doing a
complete water change. POor plants' leaves became 'distorted' and the plant
became dead effectively, although the warped leaves are still green. SHows
how indestructible the plant actually is.

Sometimes, I read somewhere that they become black with spores for
reproduction though.

Calvin Chin