[Prev][Next][Index]

Limnophila Replacement

     A week or so ago, there was some talk on the list about replacements
     for Limnophila without its Genghis Khan invasive tendencies. I have a
     plant that the supplier described as 'Red Ambulia' so I've been
     assuming it's a variant of Limnophila until I looked at the Dennerle
     catalogue and found a perfect picture of it under the label 'Rotala
     walichii'. It's nothing at all like Rotala Macranda, having rosettes
     of very fine needle-like leaves. There are no inter-nodal gaps like
     there often are on Limnophila and the colour is a green-bronze with a
     very attractive pink on the growing tips. It's a good oxygenator.
     Dennerle says it needs a lot of light and it's getting it in my tank.
     It looks quite impressive and the description 'fluffy' is quite apt.
     So far no runners but it may not have had time to marshal its invading
     forces yet. Anyone out there had experience with this plant?

     Jack Hardie in England where the winters are as hard as the water (and
     almost as wet).