[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: Shrimp

>From: "CORBEIL, SCOTT" <corbels at macmail_mcgawpark.baxter.com>
>
>Justin Heally wrote;
>
>>According to Claus Christensen, manager of Tropica Plants in Denmark,
>>shrimp are an excellent animal for controlling algae in planted aquaria.
<snip>

>I would like to add to this thread.  I have been reading the Amano book, =
>and he also suggests shrimp as a great way to control algae.  I wondered =
>if anyone knows what kind of shrimp he and Justin are refering to?  =
>Justin, what is the name of the shrimp you bought.  I would like to =
>inquire locally (Milwaukee, WI).

The shrimp Amano uses are called Yamato nubabei (sp?) in Japan, or Cardina
japonica taxonomically.  They're an asian grass shrimp that loves to eat
algaes, particularly red algaes.  One of these shrimp is displayed in a
picture with angelfish (http://www.rim.or.jp/~ada/LIB/angel.jpg) on Amano's
homepage (http://www.rim.or.jp/~ada/ENG/ADA_e.html).

Shrimp found in American aquarium stores include prawn, wood shrimp, and
"ghost" shrimp.  From what I understand, prawn are the filter-feeding
shrimp, and I would think daphnia would be a better addition for removing
green water.  I don't know a lot about wood shrimp, but I understand they
look a lot like Amano's shrimp.  Ghost shrimp are at least one species of
grass shrimp that are virtually transparent.  The ghost shrimp from my area
(Dallas) will graze on red and green algaes.  From what I've seen, ghost
shrimp are also capable of filter feeding and are quite good at breeding in
green water.  Ghost shrimp nymphs look like 2mm versions of their parents
and are free-swimming (tail-up) for at least the first day of their life.
Nymphs and juvenile ghost shrimp are almost definitely filter-feeders, and
are a favorite food of just about anything else in the tank.

Ghost shrimp may be able to help out in the event of an algae problem, but
I think it will take a lot of them (20 or more) to make a big difference in
a tank as large as a 55 gallon.  Ghost shrimp don't have very long lives.
I think it would be safe to say they are either annuals or biennials, if
they even live that long.

David W. Webb           Enterprise Computing
Texas Instruments Inc.  Dallas, TX USA
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(972) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(972) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  dwebb at ti_com Subj:PAGE