[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Lace Plant Seed

>From: "Michael E. Kane" <mek at GNV_IFAS.UFL.EDU>
>Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 10:29:11 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Madagascar Lace Plant Seed
>
>Does anyone know of a source of viable seed of Aponogeton madascariensis
>(syn. A. fenestralis)?  We conduct research on the in vitro propagation
>(micropropagation)  of aquatic plants.  We are very interested in studying
>tuber  formation.  Surface sterilized seed would enable us to establish
>cultures more quickly than using buds.  Any help would be appreciated.

I actually got a sterile (I think) lace plant seed in culture once, and it
grew easily and rapidly and produced more fertile seed.  Then the culture
got contaminated with algae during an attempt to change the nutrient
solution, and that was the end of my experiment.

The wide-leaved form which produces white or yellow-white two-spiked
flowers is easy to self fertilize. When seeds are released, they float
around in a purple or light green-colored jacket which soon disintigrates,
releasing the seedling.  I was able to get a seed in sterile (or at least
algae-free culture, by carefully opening the jacket and allowing the
seedling to fall out into sterile nutrient solution (1/5 strength Hoaglands
plus micronutrients and iron EDTA).

Tropica, in their statement about A. madagascariensis says, "Nowadays
Aponogeton madagascariensis is also produced from tissue cultures."  I
assume that Tropica does it.   I don't know if they would be willing to
share techniques with with you, but it might be worth a try to contact
them.

Good luck!

In cool, pleasant Mississippi.