[Prev][Next][Index]

E. Horemanii Leaves (was: Re: E. Horemanii flowers)

> From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:03:50 -0500
> Subject: Re: E. Horemanii flowers
  <snip>
> Also, the
> green form appears to grow faster. It's leaves reached the surface in about
> a month, and sometime in August it suddenly switched to producing floating
> leaves with stems three to four feet long, contradicting what Kastlemann
> said. The floating leaves have blades that are 10 to 12 inches long and 3
> to 4 inches wide.   Now this plant dominates the 75 gallon aquarium with
> about 15 floating leaves and more on the way. Only a few of the floating
> leaves are in direct contact with the air.  The rest have a twist in them
> that ensures that the entire blade is under the water, instead of flat on
> the surface.

I have a green E. horemaneii/uruguayensis (as best as I can tell from
staring at photographs), and I can attest to all the above, including the
part abot floating leaves.  I finally got tired of the floating leaves,
whacked off a lot of the leaves (there were over 50 in all) and upped the
lighting from 2x40W on a 70G tank to 4x40W.  That seems to have resulted in
submerged leaves (at lease for now).

-Shaji