[Prev][Next][Index]

Horizon Nursery and Brown algae?

Subject: Horizon Nursery

> Has anyone dealt with this company?  They had advertised in the
> as the licensed US Tropica dealer (they just use the tropica met
> are located near San Diego, and I will be going to the zoo next
> thought I might stop and check it out.  From what I understand,
> them hydroponically, so if I buy anything I should expect a larg

As I and several other people have said numerous times on this
list and elsewhere, there is _nothing_ wrong with aquarium plants
being grown hydroponically.  This is a normal phase in the
amphibious lives of many of the plants that we use in the
aquarium.  They travel better than submerged growth, they are
never infested with algae or snails, and they adapt readily to
submerged life in your tank.  You _will_ see that the older
emergent growth will die off, but it will be replaced faster than
it dies off with submersed growth if the conditions are suitable
for the plant.

The only negative I've heard about Horizon Growers (aside from
their misleading advertising<g>) is that their plant "assortments"
contain a number of non-aquatic, hydroponically grown "house
plants".  If you are choosing your plants in person, this should
not be a problem.

------------------------------

Subject: Brown algae?

> About two weeks ago I set up my 48"x18"x18" tank and right now a
> plants are covered in some brown coating and some also has hairl
> brown growth and there's lots of brown particles in the water.
> someone tell me if the brown coating is brown algae?  How can I
> of them?

Sounds like diatoms.  A herd of Otocinclus will clean them out in
no time.  Make sure you buy at least 6 at a time, and make sure
their bellies are well rounded at purchase.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA