[Prev][Next][Index]

Compact Fluorescents

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com wrote:

> From: "Christopher W. Hunter" <timewind at midcoast_com>
> Date: 21 Sep 96 18:52:57 -0500
> Subject: Starter with brick-type adapter?
>
> 	My new aquarium has a high-intensity, 8 watt, compact bulb lighting system
> with an external, brick-style adaptor.

My assumption is that this is one of those "U" type tubes with one two
prongs that plugs into a plastic base, and the "brick" is basically
inline with one of the power leads?

> I am wondering if there is any
> reason why I cannot add a starter to this fixture (a starter type was
> listed on the bulb sleeve) as I would like to resume using the automatic
> timer that formerly provided a regular day/night cycle (my own cycle is far
> too eratic to guaratnee that things will get turned on and off at
> reasonable times by hand) for my plants  and fish.
> 	Advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your system is the type I outlined, then I'd say NO, because it already
has a starter built-in.  If it's something else, like a miniature
fluorescent bulb with FOUR prongs (two at each end) then sure, give it a
try, eh?

    - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson					         amazingly, at home
eriko at wrq_com