[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Cedars, Junipers, latin names in general

Dear All,

An observation I made while re-furnishing a tank:

After putting in a few branches of rose wood (i.e woody stems from garden
roses Rosa, rather than rosewood), I lost a lot of fishes. Including about
ten african tetras (a mix of Phenacogrammus and Nanaethiops) and a pair of
Nannochromis. Within about fifteen minutes...the fish were either heavily
breathing, upside down or dead. The survivers were a couple of tetras, a
pair of Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi, a Panaque, a couple of Ctenopoma and a
Malputta and Badis. With the exception of the mouthbrooders (which are very
hardy) the survivors were air breathers. Needless to say I whipped the wood
out at once.

I *don't* know whether I disturbed some sulphide in the sand (but there was
no bad eggs smell) or the wood was toxic. But at least that is one wood to
be wary of.

Regards,

Neale.

From  Neale Monks' Macintosh PowerBook, at...

Department of Palaeontology, Natural History Museum, London, SW7 5BD
Internet: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk, Telephone: 0171-938-9007