[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #203

>Subject: Chasing the impossible dream?
>
>A dream of mine and many other aquarists is to keep the beautiful Discus in
>a planted aquarium. However, it's always striking a balance between feeding
>the fish regularly for it to be beautiful and having lots of algae problems
>and having nice plants with no algae problems and starved skinny fish.
>
>I find that the Discus fish need to be fed quite large proportions of food
>to enable it to grow large quickly and this represents a strain on the
>aquarium. The only solution it seems is to change water very regularly. What
>other ways are there to combat algae besides this? I've tried keeping SAEs
>but they too love the Discus food and ignore the algae now. I find that
>using this bacteria culture called Aqua-10 does help to some extent too.

I don't have my discus in planted tanks (yet) and I do weekly water changes.
I keep food waste down by feeding from worm feeders.  I make the holes a bit
larger because I feed beefheart, but very little falls to the bottom of the
tank.  whatever they don't finish is easily removed by removing the worm
feeder.

Toni-Ann
tmistretta at tamu_edu
Texas A&M University
Biochemistry

Mistakes are a fact of life, it's how we respond that counts