[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Algae eater problems

>Matt MacGregor described yesterday (Sept. 6), a 55 gallon tank with green
>hair algae problems.  Potential algae eaters included a pleco, a flying
>fox, and 4 otos.

Matt, you might try getting some SAE's (Siamese algae eaters), which are
reputed to be the real thing when it comes to eating hair algae.  I havn't
had them myself, but there are many who swear by them.  Many if the
pestiferous varieties of hair algae are extremely tolerant of low light,
and you can forget about getting rid of them that way.  You could try, but
it would be a project your children might have to continue and pass on to
their children.  If all else fails, there is the bleach method.  It is
drastic, but it works if done properly.  It is described in the Krib, which
I hear from Erik will be back online very soon.

In much cooler Mississippi.