[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Slate

>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 12:01:24 -0700
>Subject: Slate
>
>I've recently found a great place to pick up broken slate in all colours
>virtually free. (The guys just want a couple of bottles of beer.)
>Considering that the store wants $5 for one broken slate tile (grey) this
>seems like a deal to me. My question is: Is slate, slate no matter what the
>colour? Does one have to watch out for glazes etc.? Any info out there?
>
>Olga
>in Vancouver, grey, overcast and light rain -- but going to clear! :)

Olga,

Most dark colored slate should be OK for the aquarium, reddish to black. To
check it out, put a few drops of PH down (or other mild acid) on a clean
surface (freshly broken) and see if it bubbles. If it does, it contains
calcium carbonate and will raise PH (don't use it).

Waitin' for Fran

- Bill Brady ... On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, the land of pleasant
living - Harwood Maryland USA