[Prev][Next][Index]

Rock wool and potted plants

Subject: Rock wool and potted plants.

> The question on rock wool brings up something I've wondered abou
> years. I've thought plants come in planters so that shops could
> more for them. Is there a recommended way to handle these potted
> Bury the whole plant, remove immediately, remove after a while?

The rockwool that potted plants come is _SHOULD BE REMOVED_ before
placing the plants in the aquarium.  This is a growth medium, and
is left in place to protect the roots during shipping.  It is
impregnated with hydroponic nutrient solution, which can cause
_major_ algae problems in the confines of the aquarium.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA