[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: correcting error

> From: Jason Jones <kjones at connect_net>
> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 18:14:17 -0500
> Subject: correcting error
>
>  I recently put a thing in here about needing some plants. I
> had made an error by not giving enough info. I have a 10g that
> i am setting up to be a malawi cichlid tank.

Jason-

     Another potential mistake you could make is to try and keep
Malawians in a 10 g.  AFAIK there are no spp that will stay small
enough for even a single fish to thrive (or maybe even survive)
in such a small volume.  You might get away with a pair of dwarf
Tanganyikans, and these guys would be less likely to feed on your
plants.  Hoewever, given their territorial behavior, they would probably
not be very happy...while they are small, they like to occuypy
relatively large volumes of water.  You should know that the majority of
Malawi cichlids are voracious herbivores.
     Anyway, if you only have space (or whatever) for a 10, you
should consider smaller, more sedate fishes.  Examples:
dwarf gouramis, Corydoras catfish, Otocinclus spp, White cloud minnows,
neon tetras.  If you take this advice, then be sure to get more specific
advice about numbers and mixing of these spp.  A 10 gallon tank, even
with plants, will only support a small number of fish, and small ones at
that.  Get hold of a copy of the Baensch Aquarium Atlas, and look at the
maximum lenths and suggested tank sizes for the fish you are interested
in.  And ask more questions...there is a LOT of knowledge here!!!

David
--
mailto:dwheeler at stanford_EDU
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~dwheeler