[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Melanoides snails

Hi Olga,

> Can anyone tell me how these snails reproduce? Do you need two snails? If
> you have one large one is it likely to be fertile? -- I know that some
> snails only need to be fertilized once to keep reproducing all their lives.
> Anyone know if this is one of those snails?
>
> Olga
> in Vancouver

	Reproduction is sexual, ASFAIK.  They're livebearing snails and
will quickly overrun your aquaria.  Easy to control their populations though
and no matter how overgrown they become, I've never seen one take a nibble
out of any plant yet.  I don't know if they only need to be fertilized once,
but if you do get one large snail, the chances that it's pregnant are pretty
good.

	Regards,

Chris Teichreb