[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Fluorescent Lighting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:19:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Roy P Fune <rfune at polaris_umuc.edu>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: Re: Fluorescent Lighting

The shop lights would be adequate for the 55 gallon tank.  I've been using
two shop light fixtures (4 bulbs total), and it's been fine.  I don't
think the extra expense of going VHO would produce proportionally more
results.  One thing I do, though, is to make sure I put quality bulbs on
the fixtures.  IMHO, that is where you should put your money.  I have been
using Coralife Trichomatics, simply because they were left over from a
previous reef display.  You could probably even go with Vitalites or some
other full spectrum bulb.  If you're really cheap, you can use a regular
fluorescent bulb for awhile (I know, the FW Plant Gods are foaming at the
mouth), however, to get adequate results (defined as decent growth and
reproduction), you shouldn't skimp on the bulbs.

The above opinion is based on many attempts at experimenting with
different bulbs using a plain shoplight fixture.