[Prev][Next][Index]

Plant potting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 18:48:16 -0700
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Plant Potting

I have been reading the deluge of information on plants available from
this very welcome resource.  As this is the first time I have
"contributed", I would like to say thank you to the people who
instituted this information exchange system and everyone who has
contributed.

Having read the views on substrate I have come to believe that some sort of
laterite/loam mix is most suitable.  However, I did not know this when I
set up my aquarium.  Is it too late?.  I was thinking that I might try
to make up for my lack of an enriched substrate by using pots but what
kind of pot would you recommend clay, peat or plastic?.  Would all of
these allow circulation around the roots?.  I have algae problems.
Would putting laterite/ loam in the pots (as opposed to fertilizing the water
directly) help to control algae?.  This approach could even be used to
experiment with which fertilizers do best with specific plant species as
many other factors would be controlled.  I thought about using a syringe
(free with every tooth extraction) to inject dissolved fertilizer tabs
directly into the pot.  Does laterite work when there is no floe through
the gravel?.  Thank you.