[Prev][Next][Index]

turtles and water lilies

> We just planted 3 water lillies two days ago.  I found a dozen stems
> neatly snipped off and floating in the water this afternoon.   We have
> gold fish in the pound and a turtle set up housekeeping about a month
> ago.  It was my understanding that gold fish do not harm water lillies.
> Could the turtle be the culprit.  (We pulled the water lillies out of
> the pound and they are now in buckets until we can determine who/what is
> doing them in.)  Thanks.

You don't specify what kind of turtle you have  - probably red-eared
slider. I am pretty much sure the turtle is the culprit - they
sometimes eat plants and even more often they just damage them while swimming
around the pond/tank.

Jan

-----
Jan Fidrmuc
CentER for Economic Research, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
P.O.Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, phone: +31-13-466-8221, fax: +31-13-466-3066
Email: Fidrmuc at KUB_NL.
http://cwis.kub.nl/~few5/center/phd_stud/fidrmuc/home.HTM
-----