[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #134

> From: SKAU <skau at aa_wl.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Tetra Hilena InitialD
>
> 	I have a 20-gallon that I used Tetra Hilena Initial D in when I set it
> up about 4 months ago. I'm using peat plates and plant plugs with sand on top.
> This tank has a really high ammonia level in it.(2ppm). I am using this same
> substrate setup in other tanks without any problem. My plants are doing great,
> I planted a dwarf water lilly as they are supposed to be heavy feeders, along
> with a spatterdock,crypts and vals and an Annubias Nana. At one time the
> ammonia level dropped,that was when I added some Gouramiis and cats. Does
> anyone have experience with Hilena? Is the ammonia coming from it? Could the
> Spatterdock rhizome be rotting? (the plant is growing and seems healthy). The
> fish don't seem too bothered by the high ammonia level. Will it eventually
> diminish? I have a Tetra WDF 4000 running as a biological filter,without it or
> the water lilly I guess there is no telling what the ammonia level might be!

Are you sure the test kit is working correctly? I find it hard to believe
(REALLY hard to believe) that your fish are oblivious to 2ppm ammonia.

 Tom

 Work Phone: (206)-543-1075             Physical Mail: Box 352700
 Fax:        (206)-543-1543                            University of Washington
                                                       Seattle, WA
                                                       98195