[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #129

> From: "Dave Gomberg" <gomberg at wcf_com>
> Date: Fri, 09 Aug 96 14:31:24 -0700
> Subject: Growing Aponogetons from seeds
>
> I just had another Apon. crispus? flower and set seeds.  This time I
> removed the stalk from the plant and kept it in a glass of water as
> soon as the ovaries started swelling.  When the seeds were released,
> they dropped to the bottom of the glass and started to sprout.   I
> rinsed them free of all the junk, placed them in the bottom of a
> glass, filled the glass with tank water, lowered it to the bottom of
> the tank, and quickly inverted it (bottoms up).  I pushed the open
> mouth of the glass into the gravel a bit.  The seeds fell down to the
> gravel.   Two weeks later they are growing well!   Looks like this
> system works and prevents seedling damage by snails and fish.
> Dave
>
> Dave Gomberg, Experimenta      San Francisco CA USA   gomberg at wcf_com

This appears to be a good way to get the seedlings off to a good start, but
aren't you going to have water quality problems since there is no exchange
between the water enclosed in the glass and the surrounding tank?  Perhaps a
better solution would be to use a clear plastic glass with small holes
(drilled, burnt, or whatever) in it.  This would allow for some water
exchange.
--
Bob Hoffman
Huntington Beach Orchids