[Prev][Next][Index]

Blooming aponogetons

Todd,

As far as I know, only Aponogeton crispus is self-fertile, so dusting the
flowers probably won't achieve much, but I could be wrong.

With A.crispus, a soft sable paint brush does the trick. I think it is best
to work the pollen upwards, from the older flowers to the younger. The
petals then fall away, and a small fruit develops. These can be placed in a
saucer of water in a greenhouse, or perhaps in a breeding trap in the tank,
and they sprout happily. I get maybe one or two baby plants this way,
perhaps there are more efficient ways?

Good luck,

Neale.

From  Neale Monks' Macintosh PowerBook, at...

Department of Palaeontology, Natural History Museum, London, SW7 5BD
Internet: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk, Telephone: 0171-938-9007