[Prev][Next][Index]

re: plants at higher temps

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:26:58 -0700 (MST)
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
From: saram at azstarnet_com (Sara Ann McHugh)
Subject: Hi temp tank

>Many Amazon fish and plants like and need higher temperatures.  Cardinal
>tetras, discus, and Amazon swords come from locations with temps in the high
>80s or low 90s (degrees F).  My 125g discus tank is planted with a
>combination of swords (dwarf to huge varieties), aponogentons, crypts, and
>anubius.  The aponogentons threw out multiple flower stalks after a week of
>90F temps.  The normal tank temp is 86-88F and is never below 85F.  SAEs,
>otos, and bristlenose catfish are also in the tank.

Once again, thanks for your help rochelle.  I'm just concerned that my pleco
and gouramis would not be happy with 85-90 degree water. I also have a
colony of ghost shrimp, and I am concerned about them as well.  I bought my
first sword! Actually, I traded some albino ramshorn snails for it, but
still, i was excited!  I've removed the fan from my tank, so now its not
constantly 76 degrees. I will see how the tank does with the temperature
fluctuations.  my aponegetons used to be huge and lush, but I pisssed them
off once and now they all hate me, so we'll see if they like the higher
temperature.

Always looking for plants in Arizona,
Sara Ann