[Prev][Next][Index]

Potting Soil

Subject: Potting Soil

Torsten Tiedtke wrote:

> My understanding of this matter (as explained to me by my Dutch
> nothing is 'added' to potting soil to prevent weeds.  The soil i
> by heat.  This can occur naturally during the composting of the
> be done by some sort of oven (I have no idea how this is accompl
> a commercial scale)...

That's right.  The heat (either from composting, or another
source) kills any viable "weed" seed in what ever soil is
processed as potting soil.  If the soil actually contained a
substance that _inhibitted_ weeds, you couldn't grow any
ornamentals in it either... after all, a "weed" is just a plant
growing somewhere that you don't want it!<g>

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA