[Prev][Next][Index]

Tropica on Tropica

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
From: tropica at tropica_dk (Tropica Aquarium Plants)
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants on the WWW - Tropica Aquarium Plants - Denmark
Cc: krandall at world_std.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 19:02:19 +0200

The last days there have been written about import of Tropica Aquarium Plants:

David Whittaker write (Tue, 2 Jul 1996 02:53  Re: Aquatic Plants on the WWW):
> We could ask Windelov I guess.

You can! Holger Windeloev is the owner of Tropica Aquarium Plants in
Denmark. To day we talked about this story!
I am Claus Christensen, Vice-Manager, Tropica Aquarium Plant, Denmark.
I have worked for Tropica 16 years, also in the period where Tropica
exported larger quantity of aquarium plants to US.

Some information about it:

> Actually the person to thank is a Dutchman who once worked for Tropica
> and then set out on his own to import into the U.S.

Sorry to inform you: No Dutchman worked for Tropica!

> My source (which isn't Tropica) has him denouncing the quality/health of
> Tropica's plants which resulted in the product of both companies being
> banned by the Department.

The ban on aquatic plants in stone-wool has connection to some export of
water-plants from Holland.
After some years of success for Tropica exporting to US, (in stone-wool),
exporters from Holland tried to do the same. Their plants were not able to
pass the strong import control. There were problems with pests in the
plants. US Department of Agriculture decided a total ban on potted aquarium
plants! It is about 12 years ago!

> They may or may not have been using the fiberglass at the time.
> That may also be the origin of the use of the sterile fiberglass potting
> technique.

We use stone-wool, not fibreglass! Stone-wool was also used at this time!

> It's a shame really. (That Tropica can't export to US).
> I'd be interested to know when this USDA regulation
> came into force and if it has always been enforced so stringently.

Your right, and Tropica are working on making it possible to export to US again!
We hope that something has changed!