[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #51

> Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 16:42:06 -0700
> From: Andrew Kubersky <asky at sirius_com>
> Subject: water lillies
>
> I am consulting to a fishing lodge in a remote and rugged area of
> Northern California. The people have no phone and no electricity.
> Although the subjects I consult to these people are totally unrelated,
> (food and fly fishing and PR) they have asked me to explore how they can
> best reduce the amount of the lillies in their 10 acre lake.
>
> This is a pristine area and they do not want to entertain the use of
> poisons --- especially ones that could harm the wild rainbow trout
> population and significant amphibian popluation.
>
> Can you help me on this?

Andrew: There is a large amount of literature on the control of aquatic
plants (eg. The Journal of Aquatic Plant Management). There are several
methods. For small areas you can lay a plastic sheet on the bottom
and cover it with sand or rocks. This is an effective way of keeping a dock,
small beach or access area clear of aquatic plants. For larger areas
perhaps the most effective method is to use a harvester which is
something like a large lawnmower that cuts the plants just above the
sediment. These are, however, expensive and labout intensive. If you have
lots of money, of course, dredging is a possibility since it is the
(likely?) soft, fertile sediment that supports the growth of the lilies.
	After having said all that, I would suggest that your clients
disturb the aquatic plants as little as possible. It is precisely because
of the plants that there are so many amphibians and fish in the lake.
They may also find themselves in serious trouble with the authorities if
they start altering the lake habitat (though I have no idea what the laws
are in California).
	Why dont you try selling the beauty of the water lily flowers to
tourists instead of trying to destroy the lilies ... you can always swim
or fish in another lake.

dave.