[Prev][Next][Index]

Undergravel lattice for heavily planted tank?

     I have a 55-g moderately-planted discus tank with a few easy-to-grow
     plants like Vals, Anubia nana, Crinum (onion), apon crispus, Java
     Fern, and a few others.  The filtration is RFUG w/ 2 Otto PH400's w/
     prefilters.  I've had fair success with the 'lushness' of the plants
     in this tank, but I would like to try another planted tank without the
     monstrous RFUGF that's in this tank.

     I had an idea to construct a 'lattice' that consisted of 1" diameter
     PVC pipes that were joined together like a ladder and filled w/ holes.
     I would then attach a modest power head (or 2, maybe) to push water
     through the substrate, and then use a fluidized bed for filtration.  I
     just want to prevent water stagnation under the gravel, but use other
     means of filtration.

     Here's an Ascii representation...

      ____________________________
     |  ________   _____   _____  |
     | |        | |     | |     | |

     Am I just reinventing the wheel (UGF) here, or should I try it??

     Thanks in advance,

     Byron
     byron_seward at ccm_jf.intel.com

     If you're gonna throw a boomerang, make it an MTA.