[Prev][Next][Index]

Wonder water?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:05:55 -0700
From: rbil at island_net
Subject: Wonder Water?
To: Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com

Hello Gardeners,

Well I'm back to square one pondering why it is that when I do a
partial water change it is like I added some kind of miracle drug
to my tank. The photosynthesis just takes off in a spectacular
fashion within minutes of the change.

Some of you have suggested that I'm simply seeing bubbles that were
carried in with the new water. But I know this is photosynthesis
taking place. It's highly unlikely that air in the new water would
stream out of particular areas of leaves (like areas with wounds).

I thought from earlier tests that maybe the new water was
introducing more CO2 into the tank and this was causing it. But now
that I have a digital PH monitor, I know this is not the case. The
PH would drop when I add the new CO2 enriched water. What it does
is rise about .03 points for about 10 minutes and then within the
next 15 minutes the system moves back down to where it was just
before adding the new water. But the photosynthesis is really
something to see!

So I'm going to throw this idea out to you people and see whether
this can make any sense at all and explain this phenomena. Is is
possible that there is something accumulating in my water that is
impeding photosynthesis? Too much of some trace element for
example? Adding new water dilutes this situation and photosynthesis
commences at the rate it should be - given the light and CO2
present?

If I can't find some rational explanation for this, I'm going to
assume that the tap water here in Royston, BC on beautiful
Vancouver Island is some kind of fountain of youth. Maybe I should
start bottling it and selling it to you people? ;-) I'm telling
you, something strange is going on here.

Cheers, Rene