[Prev][Next][Index]

Determining Water Hardness w/a Multi-Tester?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 18:10 PDT
From: rbil at mail_island.net
Subject: Determining Water Hardness with a Multi-Tester?
To: Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com

Hello Gardeners,

I was wondering if anyone was using a multi-tester to determine
water hardness? Using one of those inexpensive digital meters
should make monitoring water hardness easy enough, no?

I would think one would have to somehow calibrate the Kohms
readings against some test samples. Does anyone have data available
on the following (or can provide it?):

The degrees of hardness in a gallon of distilled water with say
1/16 tsp of baking soda added. Then the degrees with 1/8 and 1/4
tsps added. If I could obtain these figures, I would think I'd be
able to calibrate a multi-meter and then be able to take readings.

Anyone into providing this information? None of the pet stores
around here sell water hardness test kits, or I'd do it myself.

Thanks.

Cheers, Rene