[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #116

>Douglas Duncan <duncand at sprynet_com> wrote Monday, June 3:

>Subject: Radican Marble Queen
>
>I just purchased a couple of Radican Marble Queen plants that were extremely
>healthy looking when I brought them home, but now the leaves are thinning,
>fading and perforating with holes. All the other plants in my tanks are doing
>great, so what might be the cause for the Marble Queens burning out? I know I
>usually have a low level of nitrates, but none of the other plants seem to
>suffer. Is there a chance that this is just the result of shock from being
>placed in different water and chemistry than they were raised in? I don't want
>to mess with my tank's chemistry too much because every time I do I end up
>causing crypt melt on my prize centerpiece cryptocorne.
>
>Are Radican's really difficult to keep? Should I maybe pot it in a special
>soil
>mix so it has a more desirable substrate?

Probably Karen Randall is going to say about the same thing and say it
better, but it occurs to me that E. radicans grows well emersed (It can
also be grown well submersed.), and your plants were very likely grown
emersed.  The damage to your leaves may be the result of formerly emersed
leaves now being submersed.  I wouldn't mess with the chemistry yet, but
would wait to see how the new, underwater growth looks and how well those
newly formed leaves do. In the mean time give it plenty of light and CO2.

Good luck!

In cool, pleasant, Mississippi where we finally got some rain!