[Prev][Next][Index]

Flowering Aponogeton

Hi, all!  I found a flower stalk growing from my 18" tall aponogeton
longiplumolosus and moved it to grow out of the aquarium rather than getting
caught under the glass.  The "Aquarium Plants" book by Barry James says "the
seeds that form germinate readily in the gravel."  How do I pollinate the
flowers once they form?  What are the best conditions to produce new plants?
 The tank is a 125g discus community tank with totally inadequate lighting -
60watts.  The icecap ballast failed after working for 3 hours.  The company
is sending a new one - I'll have 190 watts once its  working.  Temp 83F and
last week's water chemistry was pH 6.7, nitrates and nitrites 0, phosphate
2.0ppm, KH 2 gdh, CO2 15ppm, Fe 0.  The biowheel was removed last week but
the water is still running down the ramp.  I need to redo the tubing to fix
it.  Substrate is peat/clay/vermiculite covered with gravel.

On another topic, I tried to grow green water to feed my algae filtering
shrimp (they are in a 10gal that is algae free).   It was a complete
failure.  A little lettuce in a large glass jar with a lid,  set in the sun
for several weeks.  The water turned sour and grew mold.  I thought growing
green water was supposed to be easy!  What did I do wrong?

Thanks!
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil