[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #109

> From: hawley at foothill_net (Brad J. Hawley)
> Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:42:25 -0700
> Subject: Suggestions please!!
>
> Hello to you all!!!  I have so far been a lurker on this list and it is
> amazing how much I have learned in the last month or two since I joined.

<chomp>

> probably put in another CO2 bottle for the other power head.  The problem I
> have is in elimating the UG filter.  I was wondering if I should remove it
> or what?  I'm afraid to do that for my fishes' sakes.  Should I leave just
> the Whisper 5000 as my sole filtering method and is that enough?  The box
> says it will handle 400 GPH and up to 150 gal aquarium.  If I remove the UG
> filter for the plants I will also lose my CO2 yeast dispersement into my
> powerhead.  DECISIONS, DECISIONS !  I REALLY like my FISH but I REALLY like

Don't blow a gasket just yet.  There is some controversy as to the
detriment of using a UGF and how significant the effects, if any, are.
Speaking from experience, I have had excellent growth with Val., pigmy
chain sword, lilleaopsis, cabomba, E. bleheri, marble queen sword
(E. Radicans?), and green and sunset hygro in tanks with UGF.  They may
all be easy plants, but it's a LOT of work to get out a UGF.  Wait until
you are breaking the tank down anyway, before undertaking this task.

> From: aldag at tzv_fal.de (Patrick Aldag)
> Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 07:32:41 +0200 (MET DST)
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #108

> >Subject: Echinodorus blooms

> Hi,
> you are so lucky.
> What I would do is to put the runner under water . I think that this would
> bring you several plantlets without any effort (compared to seeding). If you
> reproduce the E. spec. "marble queen " by seeds it is possible that the
> plantlets look very different, because the Marble Queen is a bastard - or
> perhaps it is steril (?), so you would not get any seed!
> If you like have a look at the Tropica site    http://www.tropica.dk     I
> think they where the ones that "createted" the marble queen
> or was it Barth in Dessau?
> By the way I am interested in any other experiences in reproducing
> Echinodorus (mostly the new bastards) .
> So , if any one has some information let me know.
>
> Patrick
> from Germany where it is finally becomimng  summer
>
> Patrick Aldag
> email: aldag at tzv_fal.de

  The runner loops up out of the water, so both ends are submersed, while
the ends are submersed.  There are blossoms opening up at the intermediate
nodes, while two plantlets have developed at submersed nodes at the end of
the runner.  I am brushing the central part of the blossoms (no biology
vocab. for me) to see what develops.

  On a slight aside, I'm pretty fascinated that underwater plants don't
have leaves of a different shape immediately upon germination, like
terrestrial plants.  More specifically, I should say that the plants I
have propagated on runners don't have this trait.  I haven't successfully
propagated aquarium plants sexually, despite several attempts with A.
crispus (possibly a hybrid).

Tom