[Prev][Next][Index]

UGH

> From: Michael Eckardt <mike at argosys_odg.com>
> Date: Thu, 30 May 96 12:44:22 EDT
>
> I believe that UGH will flush the nasties out of the gravel and into
> the water column where they can be dealt with during water changes.
>
> Further, I speculate that the increase in temperature of the gravel
> breaks down the compounds faster. To me, the Dupla approach (high
> temp) is more in line with this thought than the low temperature
> Dennerle approach.
>
> Therefore, for long-term substrate management, the UGH seems to be the
> way to go.

I would have to agree with you.  And to prove it, we are tearing down
and redoing all our tanks due to recarpeting and this is the plan:

OLD:  85g tank with UGF and Eheim 2217
NEW: 100g tank with 150w Dupla UGH and trickle filter

OLD: 100g tank with 100w Dupla UGH, Eheim 2217 and trickle filter
NEW: 100g tank with 200w Dupla UGH and trickle filter

OLD:  90g tank with 250w Dupla UGH and trickle filter
NEW: <space>

OLD: 120g tank with 100w Dupla UGH and trickle filter
NEW: 120g tank with 250w Dupla UGH and trickle filter

The old 85g and 100g acrylics are being replaced by new 100g acrylics.

The 100w UGH in the old 100g tank didn't seem strong enough, so we're
going to a 200w UGH (this is a discus tank @ 83F).

The second 100g tank will be a Rainbowfish tank @ 76F, so a 150W coil
is going in there.

The 120g tank will be a Rainbowfish tank @ 76F and is getting the 250w
UGH from the 90g tank.

I was unimpressed with the results of the low wattage coils compared
to the high wattage coils that have been in the 90g tank.  We'll see
if I'm impressed by the new setup or if I was just lucky with the 90g
setup all along and the UGH didn't matter much.

George in Sunny (finally) Colorado