[Prev][Next][Index]

ammoniUM, nitrate, phosphate, algae, plants...

Subject: ammoniUM, nitrate, phosphate, algae, plants...

> The questions I have:
>
>  Is it possible the aq. plants do prefer ammoniUM and algae
>  do prefer nitrate or even phosphate?
>
>  Or do algae also prefer ammoniUM above nitrates or even phospha

I don't know if algae prefer ammonium to nitrate. (although I
suspect that they do, but are better at scavanging nitrate than
higher plants are) But I _do_ know that there is no "preference"
for nitrate or phosphate (nitrogen or phosphorus) whether you are
discussing higher plants _or_ algae.  BOTH of these substances are
essential to plant growth.  Take away either, and the plants will
not survive for long.