[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Stainless Steel & Floaters

>From: Ellistonk at aol_com
>Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 15:50:15 -0400
>Subject: Stainless Steel & Floaters
>
>Couple questions: One, I put some bog and floating plants in a stainless
>steel barrel outside in the backyard with a powerhead for circulation. I've
>added Chelated Iron and trace elements. Plant growth is good on the floaters
>(Water Hyacinth, Limnobium, Pistia stratiotes), leaves are strong, and well
>formed, but all the new leaves are coming out bright yellow. They get a few
>hours of direct sun per day. Is using a stainless steel barrel a bad idea, or
>do the plants maybe need even more iron? I added a pretty generous dose.

When you lawn turns yellow, the recommendation is to add nitrogen rich
fertilizer. Similarly, aquatic plants can't live on trace elements alone!
They also need the macro nutrients- N, P, K, S, Ca, etc. Unless you are
feeding fishes in this container (to provide N and other nutrients), you
should be looking at a more complete fertilizer.

Neil Frank, TAG editor    Aquatic Gardeners Association    Raleigh, NC USA