[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Substrates

I use a heavy clay soil with a natural pH of 7.8 to 8.0. I cut it 50%
with sand before it goes into the aquarium. This results in a pH of from
7.8 to 8.2 for about a year after the tank setup (our water in Winnipeg
has a pH of approximately 7.6 to 7.8). This has never been a problem for
any of the plants that I grow. After a while the pH will drop to around
7.2 to 7.4 with the set up that I have. The hardness of the tapwater is
around 80 ppm (about 4 to 5 dH) ... the hardness in the tank is about 150
ppm (about 8 dH) so there is some leakage of base cations from the
sediment. Again, this has never been a problem for my plants.

IMHO, when you use a soil substrate you have to be prepared to
experiment because soils are almost infinitely variable so your mileage
may vary depending on what you have available. Ideally, a fertile silt
loam should be used, though again, others have produced excellent results
with a highly organic substrate. I have also had excellent results using
lake sediments ... in this case the best strategy is to dredge them from
just beyond a luxuriant macrophyte bed ... I used to keep a large pail of
this muck, covered with water and stored in the fridge. Parasites were
never a problem and neither were nematodes ... I think these kind of
scare tactics are spread by operators who want to ensure that aquarists
are too frightened to use native wildlife and materials. In actual fact,
there are many species of plants just outside your door which are
beautiful and entirely suitable for use in your aquarium (as well as
being free). As someone who has spent years fooling around with aquatic
plants in the lab I would urge people to try new things, try different
things, experiment, have fun, and above all dont listen to what anyone in
an aquarium store has to tell you. (Of course if you want a show tank in
your living room you might want to be a little more cautious in the name
of harmony with your partner(s)).

Dave Huebert.