[Prev][Next][Index]

In defense of cedar

     I had a gnarly cedar stump in my aquarium (Juniperus asheyi--Ashe
     juniper, from Austin TX) for three years with absolutely no ill
     effects.  I found the stump partially buried and looked like it had
     been dead for years. I soaked it outside in plain water (no bleach)
     for 6 weeks until it sank, then I placed it in my 90 gal tank.  Of
     course, it stained the water for 4-6 months, but that looked pretty
     cool.  (Perhaps if cedar is still "green" it would cause problems).

     My Ancistris lived under the stump for three years, where he went from
     a "cute" 3 inches to a gargoyle-like 7 inches.  Java moss grew very
     well on the stump.  Other plants (especially Vals) grew well in the
     tank.  The Ancistris and my false SAE grazed on the cedar the whole
     time, keeping it algae-free.  They seemed to prefer the cedar over the
     aquarium glass.

     There were no unexplained deaths in the tank during this time.  My
     Ancistris, false SAE, angelfish, lemon tetras, and black tetras spent
     three years with the stump and are still going strong.  The only
     reason I got rid of the stump was to make room for more plants!

     Cedar does not rot, so it obviously has some means of
     repelling/killing some bacteria and fungi.  Same goes for cypress.  I
     submit that these two woods are more desirable in an aquarium than
     wood that does rot (like the "driftwood" you can buy at an aquarium
     shop that is actually a grapevine!)