[Prev][Next][Index]

STORING DIY CO2

> From: "Mike Bernardoni" <mikeb at pso_siu.edu>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:21:22 CST
>
> Hello... Has anyone out there ever thought of a way to store DIY CO2.
> How to collect it in a tank, balloon, etc.   Thanks Mike Bernardoni

I've found that steel or aluminum cylinders can be used to store CO2
quite effectively.  How effective this is depends a lot on how good
you are at DIY projects.  Obviously, the more pressure you can
generate at your CO2 source, the more you can get into a cylinder.
With a really good pump, you can get quite a bit of gas in the tank.
Although I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, achieving pressures
of 800-1000 psi will actually liquify the CO2 and allow very efficient
storage of relatively large quantities.  I've been able to get 5, 10
and even 20 pounds of CO2 into one of these cylinders, providing
enough CO2 for up to 18 months.  I would highly recommend getting the
cylinder hydrostatically tested before attempting this, though.

George, Having a Good Time in Sunny Colorado