[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: driftwood & pH

> From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
> Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 18:31:27 PDT
>
> Anyone care to give us a formula in grams per liter and tsps per gal
> for an acceptable ratio of sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate
> when added to distilled water to achieve 1 degree of KH?

One teaspoon (about 6 grams) of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) per 50
liters of water will increase KH by 4 degrees and will not increase
general hardness.  Two teaspoons (about 4 grams) of calcium carbonate
(CaCO3) per 50 liters of water will increase both KH and GH by 4
degrees.  Different proportions of each can be used to get the correct
KH/GH balance dictated by the fish and plants in the tank.  Since it
is difficult to accurately measure small quantities of dry chemicals
at home, a test kit should be used to verify the actual KH and GH that
is achieved.

> We should add this to our FAQ.

I believe it's in the rec.aquaria FAQ dealing with hardness.

> I know it's been mentioned before too.

Yes, actually, we exchanged opinions about it, didn't we :-).

George

PS: It's too bad Ed Bauman doesn't know "sintered" from "splintered"!