[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Grounding Electrode

><snip>
>> A good choice would be a graphite rod. The center post out of a "D" cell
>> battery might work OK (assuming that it can be cleansed of the battery
>> electrolyte). I don't know if graphite rods are still used in high
>> intensity carbon arc lamps. Graphite is often used as an electrode in
>> chemical processes, perhaps it is available industrially.
>
>A word: pencils.
>Most pencils use graphite instead of lead- another childhood myth
>exploded.  You might try splitting one open and using that, but I doubt
>most metals will hurt your setup as long as you do periodic water changes.
>Good luck!
>
>- -NL

A pencil lead is a mixture of graphite powder and materials that bind the
powder together. As the diameter is small and pencil leads are fragile, I
would prefer aomething that is more mechanically robust.

Here in the U.S. we have the Thomas Register, a 3 foot or so wide set of
books listing manufactured items. If you want to fined out who
manufacturers graphite rods, just look under graphite. It's an invaluable
resource for DIY.

Paul