[Prev][Next][Index]

Aponogeton madagascariensis (Lace Plant) - 9 month update

I have had this lace plant since August 1995.  Originally, growth of new
leaves was rather slow but this could have been due to either transplant
shock or high aquarium temperatures during summer (82-86 F).  With the
beginning of fall, through winter, and early spring, rate of growth of
new leaves accelerated. Temperatures during this period generally were in
the 76-80 F range.

The plant continues to grow well without any signs of possible onset of
dormancy.  The other Apon. species in the tank have already been removed
since initiating their dormant phase.  The only down side to the lace
plant is it is literally taking over the 35 gal. tank where it resides.

Conditions in this 35 gal. tank:
 -  laterite-inserted-balls in the gravel.
 -  DIY CO2 yeast system injected into the inlet of a 350 Magnum.
 -  4-30 watt bulbs. Two are on for 15 hours the other two 10 hours.
 -  minimum 50% water change each week (ok, sometimes I don't it).
 -  supplements used on an alternating basis Seachem's Flourish, Kent's
(whatever it is called), and Schoelers(sp?) Liquid Gold.  I try to add a
little of the selected product each day.
 -  other plants in tank include Sagittaria, Bacopa, Ludwiga,  two
species of Hygrophilia, two other species of Apon., and one Echinodorus.
 -  fish in the tank include ten Congo tetras, one thirteen+ year old (do
these guys ever die?) pleco, and an ever changing assortment of platys
and other tetras.

I don't test the water for any chemical constituents (basically too busy
or lazy), although I may start checking the iron levels just to see what
is going on, and the water used for weekly changes is right from the tap
with a chlorine remover added.  Everything seems to grow quite well,
although I can't seem to grow H. polysperma.

It should be interesting to see how the lace plant responds as the tank
temperatures naturally increase in late spring and summer.  I will keep
you all posted.

Bob Hoffman
Huntington Beach, CA USA