[Prev][Next][Index]

Light "Pipes"

> From: cbay at jeppesen_com (Charlie Bay)
> Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 07:42:27 -0600 (MDT)
>
> While mirrors are probably not very attractive, it doesn't have
> to be much:  a 8"x8" mirror with direct sunlight is going to
> be better than a VHO or MH with the same size, right?

A flat mirror won't do much good. I tried taking photos once by
directing sunlight in from the outside using two 18"x36" mirrors.  I
did get *some* sunlight into the tank but not much.  The mirrors need
to be angled to direct the light and the angle reduces the size of the
light beam by the sin|cos|tan of the angle.  Ditto the second mirror.
I was only able to catch one plant at a time with the resulting light
(but it looked really good.

A light pipe sounds better if you can afford the concentrator and
diffuser at each end.

George