[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #49

>------------------------------
>
>From: Miles Morrissey <mmmorris at smith_edu>
>Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:11:35 -0400
>Subject: Red algae bloom/pond
>
>My in laws have a pond in New Hampshire which is probably
>}fifty feet across and eight feet deep in places.  It is
>full of crawfish and salamanders and 6 18" koi.  This pond
>is fed by a 2" pvc pipe from a near by stream and overflows
>back into this stream.  This spring they are having a
>problem with a red colored haze in the pond, which I assume
>is some form of algae.  Now because I have some success with
>aquarium plants they want me to tell them what to do. If I had an
>If I had an algae bloom in my tank I'd do a water change,
>decrease the light intensity maybe, add more plants.  This
>obviously doesn't work in a pond this size. Suggestions??

About 3 to 5 months ago I saw an article about ponds either in FAMA
(Freshwater and Marine Aquarium) or AFM (Aquarium Fish Magazine) that
advocated building a 'mini-marsh' with lots of emergent aquatics next to a
pond and circulating the pond water through it.  The author claimed that
this system would clear the algae and give the pond very clear water.  It
sounds believable.

  In already humid Mississippi