[Prev][Next][Index]

White growth on CO2 exit

A little while ago Stephen and Greg were talking about eliminating the
white fuzzy stuff that appears out of nowhere around the CO2 producing
tube. Well I just had an interesting thing happen re this stuff.

In my tank at work, a 20 gallon, I am running my CO2 into an upturned half
plastic bottle where I let it sit diffusing. It's been going about four
weeks now and up until yesterday the white stuff was growing prolifically
-- it had filled up about an inch worth of the bottle.

Well, yesterday I noticed that two of my guppies and one of the platties
were up inside the CO2 catch bottle tugging on and appearing to eat the
white stuff. Today, when I arrived at work, I saw that it was all gone! So
apparently fish like to eat it. If it's available to them I suppose the
fish would clean it up for you.

BTW does anyone know what this is? Some form of protien? Plant life as in
fungus, mold?

Olga
in lovely sunny Vancouver