[Prev][Next][Index]

Algae Eater Infections

Several of my fish have intestinal parasites and will soon be medicated.
 Since many algae eaters eat more than just algae, does anyone know of
intestinal parasite infestations in otocinclus and bushynose plecos?  I'm
sure the Cory catfish and mystery snail are infected because they would
consume eggs excreted from the contaminated fish that fall to the gravel.
 And I'm debating about the Singapore shrimp.  Even though they are filter
feeders, I have seen them working the gravel, too.  I am not happy about
this at all.  :-(

The recommended medication is Metronidazole, Seachem brand, which can be
both fed and dissolved in the water.  I called Seachem and the person said
there was no effect on plants, but he didn't know about the fw snail and
shrimp.  In saltwater, no invertebrate should be treated, but he believed
freshwater invertebrates were "tougher."  Has anyone used this medication,
either fed or dissolved, in their planted tanks?

I have a 125gal planted discus community tank.  The non-discus fish are not
affected by the parasites (if they are even infected!) but discus are
extremely susceptible.

Thanks for opinions!
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil