[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #20

From lsarakon at hila_hut.fiThu Apr 18 19:03:00 1996
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 19:02:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Liisa Sarakontu <lsarakon at hila_hut.fi>
To: Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com
Subject: Update on my "Wolffia"

You might rememeber when I few months ago tried to found information
about Wolffia species, because I thought I had some blooming in my
biggest tank.  Well, I sent a dried sample to a plant expert and it
turned out to be male blooms of Vallisneria spiralis, not Wolffia.
I've heard that vals reproduce like that, but I didn't guess that that
was what I saw in my tank!  Just common vallisneria, and I thought I
had something SPECIAL... :-)

I searched through my books again, and if you want to have an idea of
what I had, take a look at the Baensch vol.2 page 52.  There is a female
bloom of V. asiatica.  Imagine that floating on the surface, no stem, and
about 5 times smaller than in that picture.

Liisa Sarakontu                     INTERNET:    lsarakon at hila_hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology   WWW homepage http://www.hut.fi/~lsarakon/

..and for those interested in local weather:  Most of the snow has now
melted even here in the Southern Finland, and the first spring flowers
are carefully raising their heads in our backyard.  Very little migrating
birds, because all the waters are still covered with thich ice.