[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #17

 I posted the following:
>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca

>I just found a good looking plant I haven't seen before in my local store.
>It apparently came mixed in with a shipment of Java Fern and looks like it
>is related. It isn't in any of my books.
>
>It is a dark green with leaves of the same sort of texture as Java Fern.
>However the leaves grow on stiff, stand-up stalks are triangular shaped,
>toothed and have an "accordion-type" surface. It appears to have the same
>sort of roots as Java Fern and grows on a piece of wood. The fellow working
>in the store (who is quite knowledgable but doesn't know this plant) says
>that it reproduces like Java Fern -- off the leaves. It is however, also
>putting out growth from the base of the main stem as well.

I've found out that this plant is Bolbtis Heteroclite or Heudelotii. The
information on it is that it is an emersed plant but apparently it grows
okay underwater, though slowly. It also has long Java Fern looking leaves
when it arrives at the store but puts out the trianglar leaves in a
cloverleaf like pattern submersed. So can anyone tell me more about Bolbtis
heteroclite/Heudelotii? Is it doomed to die submersed?

Olga
in damp but partly sunny Vancouver