[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #17

>I just found a good looking plant I haven't seen before in my local store.
>It apparently came mixed in with a shipment of Java Fern and looks like it
>is related. It isn't in any of my books.
>
>It is a dark green with leaves of the same sort of texture as Java Fern.
>However the leaves grow on stiff, stand-up stalks are triangular shaped,
>toothed and have an "accordion-type" surface. It appears to have the same
>sort of roots as Java Fern and grows on a piece of wood. The fellow working
>in the store (who is quite knowledgable but doesn't know this plant) says
>that it reproduces like Java Fern -- off the leaves. It is however, also
>putting out growth from the base of the main stem as well.
>
>Can anyone tell me the name of this plant?

Is it perhaps Borneo Fern (Trichomanes javanicum) or Aqua Fern (Thichomanes
javanicum? I'm not sure what you mean by an "accordion-type" surface. I
tried growing Aqua Fern once but had no luck (in the same tank where Java
Fern grew well). Anyone with success care to share their experience?

Shiao Y. Wang
Univ. of Southern Mississippi
sywang at whale_st.usm.edu